An overheated living room fireplace is now blamed for a fire that destroyed a home in Casco on December 11.
Kewaunee County Sheriff Matt Joski says the homeowner apparently filled the fireplace and lit the logs, then left the residence. The logs then burned hotter than the insulating material could handle.
Joski says to save on fuel costs, people are trying to use fireplaces that were built more as decoration as heating units.
A fireplace professional can determine how much heat your fireplace can safely handle.