Area fire departments are responding to more calls this week concerning carbon monoxide alarms in homes.
Sturgeon Bay Fire Chief Tim Herlache says ice from normal furnace operation can block the exhaust pipe on newer furnaces.
Herlache says the location of the exhaust pipe can also play a role.
The number one cause of carbon monoxide buildup in homes is still exhaust from your vehicle.
Herlache says if you are going to let a vehicle warm up, make sure it is out of the garage far enough that carbon monoxide can’t be drawn back inside.