Several cases of homeowners finding dead birds at bird feeders have been reported in the area. Director of Crossroads at Big Creek, Coggin Heeringa, says specimens have been sent in for testing.
Although the official results have not been received, Heeringa believes the cause is salmonella.
When cleaning feeders, residents should wear rubber gloves to prevent exposing themselves to the infection. Heeringa says salmonella is more commonly spread from bird to bird in the warmer months.
It’s a good idea to clean bird feeders regularly, and by following Heeringa's cleaning tips residents can help stop the spread of infections like salmonella. You can find more information at http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/birddiseases.html.