Sturgeon Bay's fire chief says an unattended candle was the cause of a fire at a west side apartment Wednesday afternoon.
Tim Herlache says a burning candle in a glass container was getting very low on wax and exploded, starting a dresser/nightstand on fire in a bedroom at 913 S. Elgin Avenue.
Herlache says firefighters were able to put out the fire with extinguishers. Damage to the second-floor apartment was estimated to be about $3,000.
The chief says the fire serves as a reminder that unattended candles can be dangerous.
"Once again my message is do not leave candles burning unattended and when they get down to the point where the wax is liquid blow them out and throw them away," says Herlache.
Photo by the Sturgeon Bay Fire Department