State transportation officials will be holding a meeting in Sister Bay May 29 to discuss the planned reconstruction of Hwy 42 (Bay Shore Drive).
The open house-style meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 29 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Sister Bay Fire Station at 2285 Mill Road. A short presentation is planned for 5:45 p.m.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation staff will be available to discuss the project details and obtain input from the public. Those with knowledge about historic buildings, archaeological sites, septic systems, drain tiles, or drainage problems near the project are strongly encouraged to attend and discuss them with project staff.
Construction is scheduled to begin in July 2014 and continue through June 2015.
The project includes:
- Reconstructing WIS 42 from Country Walk Drive to Scandia Road.
- Lowering the roadway from Sister Bluff Drive to Bluffside Lane to improve sight distance.
- Realigning of both the WIS 57 and Gateway Drive intersections to improve sight distance and intersection angles.
- Addition of curb and gutter with storm sewer from Country Walk Drive to Bluffside Lane.
- Extension of sidewalks on WIS 42 from Country Walk Drive to Bluffside Lane and WIS 57 to Canterbury Lane.
- Increased width of roadway to accommodate a shared drive lane and bike lane.
- Replace storm sewer and improve drainage throughout the project.
- Address storm water runoff from Bluffside Lane to Mill Road
Additional right-of-way and temporary limited easements are required for this project. There are several encroachments (such as signs and landscaping areas) within the right-of-way which will need to be moved prior to construction. The locations of the encroachments and exact amount of real estate necessary for acquisition will be presented at the public information meeting.
There will also be some park impacts. At Gateway Park, right-of-way is required for adding pavement for WIS 57 and Gateway Drive, adding a right turn lane on WIS 42, adding sidewalk, adding storm sewer, removing trees, and removing the existing path.
At Hendrickson Park, right-of-way is required for adding sidewalk in the northeast quadrant of WIS 42 and Mill Road intersection.
WisDOT is staging the project to minimize impacts to local businesses while completing it in a short timeframe. Access will be maintained to businesses and residences during the entire project. Additionally:
- At no time will both WIS 42 and WIS 57 be closed at the same time.
- WIS 42 traffic will remain open to one lane each direction in summer months (June-August).
- Both WIS 42 and WIS 57 will be open for Fall Fest weekend.
- WIS 42 will be open to northbound traffic only from Fall Fest weekend to Memorial Day weekend. A regional detour will be posted by WisDOT while the village will post local detour routes.
- WIS 42 traffic will be open to one lane in each direction prior to Memorial Day 2015.
Persons who are unable to attend the meeting can make their comments by contacting WisDOT Project Manager Jeremy Ashauer at 944 Vanderperren Way, Green Bay, WI 54304; (920) 492-4165 or by email at Jeremy.Ashauer@dot.wi.gov. Citizens who are hearing-impaired and require an interpreter may request one by contacting Ashauer at least three working days prior to the meeting.