By Tim Kowols
A passerby in Ellison Bay may have prevented another gas leak explosion over 10 years after a similar event rocked the community. Last week, the Sister Bay/Liberty Grove Fire Department was alerted to a residence near Mink River Road after getting reports of a strong gas smell in the area. Crews found the unoccupied home’s propane tank empty but the building itself full of gas. Much like the explosion twelve years earlier that killed two people and injured others, neighbors told firefighters they smelled a light passing odor, but did not say anything. Sister Bay/Liberty Grove Fire Chief Chris Hecht says the passerby that did say something helped prevent a lot of damage from occurring again.
Hecht reminds property owners to be alert to their own propane tanks to make sure they are functioning properly and to never be afraid to call 911 if they smell or see something suspicious.