News

Fireplace probable cause of Saturday's blaze

A fire that destroyed a southern Door County house is suspected to have originated in the fireplace.  The home of Jerry and Mary August on Lower LaSalle Road in the town of Clay Banks was fully engulfed in flames shortly after 9 pm on Saturday.  The Augusts were able to escape the fire by the time the Southern Door Fire Department responded to the lakeshore property.  Firefighter Chuck Cihlar says automated mutual aid was received from Sturgeon Bay, Brussels-Union-Gardner, and Algoma fire departments.   The fire was fully extinguished some three hours later.  The home is a complete loss but a detached garage was not damaged.  Cihlar adds that the fire call serves as a good reminder for homeowners to have their chimneys regularly inspected for cracks and that flues are replaced when needed.  

 

News Videos

Sports Videos

Search Our Site

STURGEON BAY WEATHER

Poll

Are you happy with the retail sales selection you have locally?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Sports Poll

Will you watch spring training baseball?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Obituaries are provided as a service of the

Schinderle Funeral Home of Algoma

Obituaries

Click Here for more Obituaries

Obituary posting fee is $25

Newsletter

Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper and/or our Shopping Show newsletter!

 

Get the latest news with our Daily Electronic Newspaper delivered to your inbox.

 

Get the latest updates for our Shopping Show delivered to your inbox every Friday.