Door County Medical Center and other hospitals across the country are establishing new guidelines for visitors as they try to reduce the risk of transmitting the COVID-19 illness.
Effective immediately, visitors with an acute illness, returning from a high-risk area for COVID-19 exposure and under the age of 14 are no longer allowed at Door County Medical Center. The hospital has also established visitor limits for those receiving treatment with exceptions made only on a case-by-case basis. These include one visitor for patients undergoing surgery or having an appointment in a clinic location or two for those at the end of their life or under the age of 18. The full restrictions, which are available online with this story, are in effect until further notice.
Full Release for Door County Medical Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Door County Medical Center Hospital Visitor Restrictions
March 16, 2020 - Sturgeon Bay, WI. Door County Medical Center (DCMC) is restricting all visitors to the hospital at this time, effective immediately.
In order to reduce the risk of transmitting COVID-19 illness into hospitals as well as the virus throughout the community, area hospitals have come together, in partnership with local public health departments, to put restrictions in place that exemplify commitment to the dignity and care of all, especially those most vulnerable amongst us.
There may be exceptions made on a case-by-case basis. The following exclusion criteria are currently in place, effective immediately:
- Patients who have an appointment in a clinic location within the hospital, and a laboratory or radiology order, as well as those visiting the emergency department, may have one person with them.
- Labor and delivery patients - one partner and one birth support person
- Nursery patients - ONE (1) birth parent plus ONE (1) significant other who must remain in the room for the duration of the visit.
- Patients who are at the end-of-life - TWO (2) visitors
- Patients under age 18 - No more than TWO (2) visitors (must be family or guardian)
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures - ONE (1) visitor who must leave the hospital as soon as possible after the procedure/surgery.
- No visitors under the age of 14.
Visitors with acute illness are not allowed. Also, visitors returning from international travel or areas at high risk for COVID-19 exposure per CDC criteria may not visit until they have been home and symptom-free for 14 days.
For any questions or clarification, contact Door County Medical Center at (920) 743-5566.