Recent fires provide reminder during Fire Prevention Week

Taking good precautions around the home is crucial to preventing a fire tragedy at home.  This week is National Fire Prevention Week and Sturgeon Bay Assistant Fire Chief Kalin Montevideo says general fire safety includes making sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly in your home.  Families should devise an escape plan in the case of a fire and have a pre-determined place to meet outside.  Montevideo says the kitchen is the most common area that fires begin.



Montevideo recommends that you place a smoke and carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home.  On Friday, the Sturgeon Bay Fire Department responded to a call to a fire after a lit cigarette on a patio ignited a fire on the side of a trailer home on Georgia Street.  Fire Chief Tim Dietman says fortunately a driver passing by called in right away and the fire was quickly extinguished without much damage.  He said it was another good reminder to properly dispose of any incendiary items.


Search Our Site


Current Weather



How much are you planning to spend for Christmas this year?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Sports Poll

Have you watched any of the World Cup Soccer so far?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.


Click Here for more Obituaries

Obituary posting fee is $25


Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper!

Plus, Get the latest updates for Local Sports, Obituaries and more delivered to your inbox!