A cottage in the Town of Gardner was partially destroyed on Sunday morning due to a fire. The first crews arrived on the scene on Stevenson Pier Road at approximately 11:15 a.m.to the sight of flames coming out of the top of the cottage. They discovered the fire had already vented through the backside of the cottage and made its way through the attic. Brussels-Union-Gardner Fire Chief Curt Vandertie says the owners of the cottage had just been there to drop off items to get it ready for the summer. No exact cause to the fire has been determined, but it is believed that the fire originated in the kitchen. Vandertie credited not just the responding departments but also its newest engine with helping put out the fire quickly on a gusty day.
Vandertie says they were able to put the fire out in approximately 10 minutes due to having adequate help and water. No injuries were reported and the scene was cleared in approximately two hours. The Fire Departments of Southern Door, Sturgeon Bay, Luxemburg, and Casco, Door County Emergency Services, Gardner Emergency Medical Responders, the Door County Sheriff’s Department, and Wisconsin Public Service all assisted with the incident.
Picture courtesy of B.U.G. Fire Department