News

Gas leak triggers fire call

Members of the Gibraltar Fire and Rescue squad were still on the scene early Wednesday morning after a gas leak started a fire in the home’s mechanical room. The call to dispatch came in at around 9:50 p.m. to report to the home located on White Cliff Road in the Town of Gibraltar. The homeowner closed the door to the mechanical room, which seems to have suffocated the fire before crews arrived. The responding fire departments of Gibraltar, Baileys Harbor, Ephraim, and Egg Harbor never had to spray a drop of water. The home’s gas was eventually turned off, but as of Wednesday morning, Gibraltar Fire Chief Andy Bertges says either propane or methane were still being detected even after venting the home.

Bertges says the homeowner is fine and credited his quick action to containing the fire and the smoke to just one room. Other responding departments were allowed to leave the scene at around midnight.

 

 

Search Our Site

Current Weather

STURGEON BAY WEATHER

CANCELLATIONS

Poll

Will you follow the newest CDC guideline for vaccinated people to wear masks in public indoor facilities?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Birthday Club

Sports Poll

Do you agree with Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers' decision to bring back Randall Cobb?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Obituaries are provided as a service of the

Schinderle Funeral Home of Algoma

Obituaries

Click Here for more Obituaries

Obituary posting fee is $25

Newsletter

Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper!

Get the latest news with our Daily Electronic Newspaper delivered to your inbox.

Get the latest updates for Big Deals delivered to your inbox every Monday, Wednesday & Friday.