As some area businesses struggle with employee shortages, the Department of Workforce Development is broadening their accessibility to get employers adequately staffed. On June 1st, the DWD opened for walk-in customers across the state. This will help with the DWD’s newer, adapted way of doing business, which is blending virtual and in-person options.
Brian Pelon from the DWD spoke of the adjustments saying, “the pandemic taught us many lessons last year. As we begin to open up our Job Centers and welcome customers into our facilities, we will continue to offer some of our services in a virtual format to accommodate those not able to come to our facilities.” Some of the services that will still be encouraged online include career counseling appointments and re-employment sessions.
Pelon noted that the trends they are seeing with area residents are that they are often doing the prep work to reenter the workforce such as updating resumes and researching local hiring conditions. Pelon also urged Door County residents to be aware of the DWD resources. Door County’s DWD Job Center is open from Monday through Thursday.
Below is a complete list of expanded and continued services:
- Supporting customers in-person with online job search, Job Center of Wisconsin registration, resume writing, and other career development activities
- Conducting re-employment sessions remotely via phone
- Co-locating at strategic partner locations (e.g., libraries and community-based organizations)
- Continuing virtual workshops with topics such as resume writing, interviewing skills, LinkedIn, job searching for mature workers, and more
- Offering virtual job fairs to connect job seekers with immediately available career opportunities
- Providing in-person and virtual career counseling by appointment
- Meeting with Trade Adjustment Assistance clients in-person and virtually
- Expanding work with open job centers in correctional facilities (virtual and in-person)
- Scheduling mobile career lab promotion of health careers in select locations
- Referrals to workforce partner employment and training resources/programs