They were all small in nature, but three grass fires over the weekend served as a reminder that you have to start taking extra precautions this fall. A discarded cigarette may have been to blame for a small grass fire off of Orchard Road in the Village of Ephraim Friday afternoon that was quickly put out by firefighters. The Brussels-Union-Gardner Fire Department responded to two such fires over the weekend. A burning barrel allegedly caused one grass fire to start near County DK in the Town of Brussels Friday evening. On Saturday morning, a hot exhaust pipe may be the reason why a recently harvested cornfield was caught ablaze while hunters prepared for the upcoming gun season, burning approximately 2,500 square feet. B.U.G. Fire Chief Curt Vandertie says the first frost usually sets things in motion for these fires to become commonplace.
Vandertie credits both landowners for acting quickly and calling 911 as soon as they were in danger.