A Town of Union house was a complete loss after a fire on Tuesday afternoon. The Brussels-Union-Gardner Fire Department responded at about 2:45 pm Tuesday to a reported structure fire at 1681 Pit Road. Assistant Fire Chief Jim Wautier said when they arrived, the two-story home was totally engulfed with flames, and the top story had already collapsed.
The owners, Chuck and Kandi Bretl were not home at the time, but their pet dog and two cats perished in the fire. No immediate cause of the fire has been determined. The BUG Fire Department was on the scene for over four hours.