A home along State Highway 42 in Algoma was destroyed and two house pets perished in a fire that took place Sunday and restarted again on Monday.
The initial fire started after 2 p.m. on Sunday at N8602 STH 42, sending the Algoma Fire Department to work before calling for assistance from the Kewaunee and Southern Door Fire Departments. When crews arrived, smoke and flames were already showing. Algoma Fire Chief Tom Ackerman says they went to work right away, but it was too late to try and save the building.
The same three departments had to go back on Monday after 8 a.m. when the fire rekindled and started the house on fire again. Ackerman says the original fire likely started because of faulty wiring inside the home. He added that Monday’s fire is a good example of what can happen when homes get additions and other work is done.
Other than the pets that died in the fire, there were no other injuries to the homeowners or the responding firefighters.