News

Liberty Grove to address room tax allocation Wednesday

The growth of short-term rentals and other lodging establishments in Liberty Grove has created a good problem for its town board to tackle on Wednesday. Last year, the town received approximately $80,000 from its portion of the room tax collected by its local lodging partners. In years past, roughly 90 percent of that would go to local groups like Door County North and the Liberty Grove Historical Society. The remaining 10 percent was slated for the Sister Bay/Liberty Grove Fire Department’s reserve fund. Room tax collections are booming across the county, but especially in Liberty Grove, thanks to the area’s popularity and an increase in the room tax itself. According to Door County Tourism Zone data, collections through July were up over $110,000 compared to the same period in 2021. Town chairperson John Lowry says they need to make some adjustments to address other areas of their budget.

The Town of Liberty Grove Board will meet Wednesday at 7 p.m. at its town hall.

Search Our Site

CANCELLATIONS

Current Weather

STURGEON BAY WEATHER

Poll

What issue is most important to you in the upcoming election?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Sports Poll

Do you agree with Wisconsin Coach Paul Chryst being fired?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Obituaries

Click Here for more Obituaries

Obituary posting fee is $25

Newsletter

Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper!

Plus, Get the latest updates for Local Sports, Obituaries and more delivered to your inbox!