Listen Live



Daily Newsletter


Electrical fire starts surge of generosity for dispatcher's family

While it will not replace what has been lost due to a fire in Forestville last Friday, you are already helping make sure the affected family gets back on their feet. The Southern Door Fire Department had to drive just a few blocks to the home on Lucerne Drive when they received the call at approximately 8 a.m.


According to Southern Door Fire Department Chief Rich Olson, flames and smoke were coming out of the kitchen window when they arrived. Thanks to the quick work of the Southern Door Fire Department and their mutual aid partners in Algoma, Brussels-Union-Gardner, Luxemburg, and Sturgeon Bay, crews were able to begin leaving the scene just after 9 a.m. before clearing it at 10:30 a.m. Not known at the time was that not only was it Door County dispatcher Marisa Anderson’s house, but she was also the one who had to take the phone call that it was on fire and send people out to extinguish it. In addition to parts of the house damaged by the blaze, three dogs, four cats, and a rabbit died during the fire. An extension cord was ruled to be the cause of the fire after investigators went through the building on Monday.


Olson says the Door County Fire Chiefs Association donated $2,000 to the family to help them get back onto their feet and to thank Marisa for all she does for the area’s departments.



In addition to the donation by the Door County Fire Chiefs Association, more than 100 donations have raised almost $7,700 as of 4 p.m. Monday through a GoFundMe page that you can contribute to here.

Search Our Site


Current Weather



Should local fishing tournaments be required to be weigh-on-the-water only?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.


Sports Poll


Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper!

Plus, Get the latest updates for Local Sports, Obituaries and more delivered to your inbox!