Listen Live



Daily E-lert


Chickens lost in Forestville coop fire

For at least the third time since November, Door County firefighters had to come to the rescue of a chicken coop in peril. The latest edition came last Friday at approximately 9:20 p.m. when members of the Southern Door Fire Department were called to a home on Carnot Road in the Town of Forestville. The owner was able to knock down approximately 80 percent of the fire by the time crews got there with a full extended garden hose. The fire started near the corner of the chicken coop where a heat lamp was located before eventually reaching the structure’s roof. Southern Door Fire Department Captain Rich Olson says the location of the heat lamp is important in preventing such fires.

Olson says no chickens survived the blaze, but added that the coop’s owner indicated that he may decide to rebuild once he had a chance to further inspect the damage. He estimates that the department was able to clear the scene in about 20 minutes. Among the more recent chicken coop fires was close to two months ago in Jacksonport when a heat lamp started a blaze that destroyed the structure.



Picture courtesy of Southern Door Fire Department

Search Our Site

Current Weather




Who do you believe presents the biggest challenge to Donald Trump for the Republican Party's nomination for next fall's election? Ron DeSantis Nikki Haley Chris Christie Vivak Ramaswamy Other
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.


Click Here for more Obituaries

Obituary posting fee is $25

Sports Poll


Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper!

Plus, Get the latest updates for Local Sports, Obituaries and more delivered to your inbox!