Listen Live

Podcast

Videos

Daily Newsletter

News

Quick-acting neighbor assists in Egg Harbor blaze

A toaster oven fire in Egg Harbor could have been a lot worse if it was not for the quick action of a nearby neighbor.

 

The Egg Harbor Fire Department was notified of the fire on Harbor School Road in the Heritage Lake development just after 2 p.m. on Wednesday. The homeowner had been cooking a flatbread in their toaster oven when it caught on fire. When their combination of baking soda and water failed, the fire spread to other small appliances nearby and the shelving where the toaster oven was sitting. The homeowner’s neighbor saw flames through the window and was able to put the fire out with a small fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived. Egg Harbor Fire Chief Justin MacDonald says the experience shows the importance of having a fire extinguisher in your home.

MacDonald added that crews remained on scene until just before 3 p.m. to make sure that the fire had not spread into the walls and to ventilate the home. The fire caused an estimated $1,000 to $1,500 in damage, but nobody was hurt.

 

Search Our Site

CANCELLATIONS

Current Weather

STURGEON BAY WEATHER

Poll

Who will win the congressional seat this fall now that Rep. Mike Gallagher is leaving?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Obituaries

Cheryl Jome

Click Here for more Obituaries

Obituary posting fee is $25

Sports Poll

Newsletter

Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper!

Plus, Get the latest updates for Local Sports, Obituaries and more delivered to your inbox!