What started as a camper trailer fire on New Settlement Road southwest of Sturgeon Bay could have been a lot worse if not the the quick response by the Southern Door Fire Department on Tuesday afternoon. Southern Door Assistant Fire Chief Chuck Cihlar says crews were dispatched around 2:30 p.m. to 2490 New Settlement Road. Upon arrival, Cihlar was concerned about a 500-gallon propane tank that was only a few feet away from the fire-engaged camper trailer. The fire was extinguished quickly, but substantial damage was already done to the smaller trailer and slight damage to two other storage trailers located by a shed. Cihlar says the fire was probably caused by a generator that was feeding an electrical panel in the camper from the shed that had a solar panel on it.
Cihlar notes that over 4,000 gallons of water were used to douse the blaze and that the scene was cleared shortly after 3:30 p.m. An initial MABAS call to the Sturgeon Bay Fire Department was canceled when the fire was quickly put out. No injuries were reported.