Listen Live

Podcast

Videos

Daily Newsletter

News

Discarded cigarette causes grass fire in Brussels

A grass fire caused by a careless driver on Misere Road Tuesday morning was quickly contained by the Brussels-Union-Gardner Fire Department.  Assistant Fire Chief Jim Wautier says BUG Fire was dispatched shortly before noon for a grass fire burning about a 30 by 40 area in the ditch at 635 Misere Road in Brussels.  The brush truck was able to extinguish the blaze quickly.  A passerby who called in the fire showed the crew the area where the fire started. Upon investigation, a tiny cigarette butt was discovered that had probably been thrown out a vehicle’s window, according to Wautier.  

 

 

The BUG Fire Department had 16 responders at the scene and used about 200 gallons of water to extinguish the fire.   Wautier notes the arid conditions on Tuesday made the situation dangerous, and the overnight snow will help lower the high fire risk issued yesterday for most parts of the state.  Below is the current Fire Danger Situation from the Wisconsin DNR website.

 

Outdoor burning is not recommended yet, and proper permits must be obtained from your residence municipality before starting a fire.

 

Search Our Site

CANCELLATIONS

Current Weather

STURGEON BAY WEATHER

Poll

Who will win the congressional seat this fall now that Rep. Mike Gallagher is leaving?
Add a Comment
(Fields are Optional)

Your email address is never published.

Obituaries

Cheryl Jome

Sports Poll

Newsletter

Sign up for our Daily Electronic Newspaper!

Plus, Get the latest updates for Local Sports, Obituaries and more delivered to your inbox!